Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Running Happy New Year New You Year! What?

Happy New Year! Each year we are faced with new year's "to do's" by authorities around the world. This year is no exception. The cover of many magazines, well almost every magazine, carry headlines that it is time for a "New You!". Sometimes I think at the stroke of midnight we should all yell "Happy New You!", because that's what we are all told will/should happen. In the running community, things are really no different. Many running publications whether it be the magazine or online formats promote the same theme. Where were they in July?

Andy Rooney, of the CBS News program 60 Minutes, would have a ball with this. His humor would attack the theme of "It's Time for a New You" from many directions. Not pretending to even have an ounce of his talent, I can't help but take a look at the cover of one of the leading running magazines and have some fun with it. Runner's World has several cover story headlines that just invite a comment or two. Let's take a look at a few:

New Year, New You an inside look at "What kind of runner are you? Were you born to run a fast 5K, a strong marathon, or something in between? Here's how to find out- and how to realize your full potential." Actually not a bad article, but I don't know what I was born to run. No one has told me. The article sounds like you are supposed to choose by January first and then stick with it. What if you change your mind? Do you have to wait until the 2010 issue to see what to do?

28 Tips to Lose Weight, Get Inspired, Achieve Any Goal Why did they stop at 28? Have you ever wondered who comes up with these numbers? I would have done better with maybe 10. But could I have used 40? Who knows.

No Time to Train? 20-Minute Workouts If I don't have any time to train, where am I going to find 20 minutes? For some people they might as well have said 60 minutes or maybe 5.

Beginners, Feel Good on Every Run So does that mean that if I am not a beginner I can't feel good on every run. I'd like to meet a beginner that felt good on every run. I'd like to meet anyone that felt good on every run!

A Better Way To Breathe OK, now they've got me scared. There's another way?

Do You Tie Your Shoes Wrong? Well, no, I think that I am doing ok. I've been doing it for a long time and no one has told me that I am doing it wrong. I knew there was something I missed that day I was absent in Kindergarten!

Why We Need Running Partners Not being an early morning runner, if I run in the early hours, I really do need a running partner to help me find my way back home. Not quite awake!

Cut Calories, Boost Nutrition- Holiday Meal Makeovers How many people are really going to read this article before February?

On a more serious note. While it is fun to make a little fun at these Runner's World cover headlines, the articles that follow in the magazine are very well written and contain some high quality suggestions that I know will work to a certain extent for all of us. The January 2009 issue does contain excellent information in a very usable format. Easy to pick up and put into practice.

However, my favorite is the one on the cover of Adventure Magazine each month right underneath the magazine name: Dream It, Plan It, Do It. All kidding aside, that's got some power! Have a Happy New Year, and may 2009 hold all the best for you!

Forward we go! May your roads and trails be happy and safe!

1 comment:

Andy Woolard said...

best blog yet. rolling.