Monday, March 31, 2008

Power of 10- The Group

First of all, you've got to imagine 10 people doing their pre-run stretching around the same traffic signal pole on a Sunday morning. It's become a tradition. Traffic slows. People stare. Then they just smile and say,"Oh, it's the Group". This comes on the heels of another debated tradition...the dreaded half-mile walk to the pole to warm-up. I think that I am the only one in the group that needs it. But everyone just goes along with me and puts up with a walk that can sometimes be very challenging going into a north wind. Months ago, several runners started a common adventure. Training for a marathon(s) and/or other races. We started gathering at my house on Sunday mornings to start the group run. Our numbers are different each time. Some can make it. Others choose to wait for another opportunity, perhaps another Sunday down the road. This Sunday my son Andy, Wes, Brett, Joel, Leah, Maria, Chris, Tai, Caroline and I took off on our first group run in quite a while. It was great getting the group back together! One of the people missing is our friend Larry in Dallas who has run several marathons with many of us in this group. We miss him! Doing most of my training solo, it is great to have company over the miles we travel. On this day, we are all running different distances getting ready to run the Brew to Brew Race this Sunday (April 6th). The group will swell in numbers to form three groups. Brew to Brew is a 43 mile relay race made up of teams of five runners taking different stages of the race to run for their respective teams. This day is special though, at least for me. I will be running the race solo this year and this is a taper run for me a week before the race. But it doesn't stop there.

This incredible group of friends will be running along with me as I take on the solo adventure of an ultra for the first time. I can't thank them enough! Their support will be very important for me as I journey down the road. We have laughed together, shared many stories, hurt together, raced together, and have been there for each other for a variety of reasons. I feel blessed to have such a great group of friends to run with and to be with me this Sunday and many more to come. Thanks "Group" for your support and friendship! Forward we go! May your roads and trails be happy and safe!

3 comments:

Life said...

Right back at ya Mick! Looking forward to this weekend.

Andy Woolard said...

you're right, we do humor you on that long walk to the light pole.

Joe said...

I am truly honored to be included in this group of outstanding people/runners and wish I could be there this weekend. Good luck to all, run a great race, and remember to "have some fun".