Monday, March 31, 2008

Runner's World doesn't have this training plan

My first ultra-marathon is less than a week away. Many people need to be thanked for getting me to this point and the past 16 marathons that I have run. None more than my wife Berta though. I would like to thank her with all my heart for all that she has done to support me in my training and the many group runs that we have had. You see, I am a very lucky runner. I don't have to go out hours early and place my bottles of Heed, Perpetuem, and water. I don't have to carry Hammer Bars and gels with me when I train. That's because for years Berta has met me at a variety of distance markers to fuel me, encourage me, and generally just help support me in whatever new adventure that I have taken on. From the sidewalk chalk messages on the streets and sidewalks of our city to the managing of pace charts, she has been there in all kinds of weather and all times of day and night. She has given up many Saturdays and Sundays and I know she will continue to as I find new adventures to run. The other day she actually told me that she enjoys it. You know, I think she really does. As I have tried to copy as much as possible the exact stops of the Brew to Brew Ultra, I have missed her at mile markers that she would have been at before. Berta, you are amazing! Runner's World doesn't have a person in their training plans like you. I'm the lucky one. Thank you for now and many more training runs in the future!

Forward we go! May your roads and trails be happy and safe!

3 comments:

Jean Pommier said...

Welcome to the bloggosphere, Mickey!

Can't replace Berta in your training plan indeed, no question she earns the pole position!

Hope my suggestions and encouragements help your reach your goals, fellow Brooks ID'er!

Again, first and foremost, listen to your body and take it easy. Ultra running is a different animal than marathon (amazing how one step beyond 26.2 miles can make), and ultra requires more flexibility and mental than what we experience on marathon.

Take care and have a good one on Sunday!

Jean.
Farther Faster

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice words. I certainly enjoy being a part of the team. Supporting you with your running is a special "connection" that has become part of "us". Thanks for the miles. Love the blog.
Here we go!

Life said...

Berta is giving Andy an unrealistic view of women. Just a heads up.