Saturday, September 20, 2008

Runner Stopped by Police...Well Almost

Today on my long run I thought it had finally happened. I thought I was going to be stopped by the police. Not for speeding mind you, but for standing in the middle median while waiting to cross a very busy street on my route. Not a good decision on my part. The police car went by me, slowed down and then went on. Not sure whether I was going to be stopped, I continued on as if nothing had happened. Yes, I did make it across the street. But I did have the feeling the the car was lurking behind me the rest of the way waiting for me to make another bad runner decision. As I ran, I contemplated what I was going to say if the car came back and actually stopped me. So here goes:

(Flashing lights and siren blaring. I run to over to the curb and stop.)

Officer: "May I see your license and registration?"
Me: "Sure." Handing them my last gel and rag I use to wipe sweat.
Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "I'm sure it wasn't too fast, I'm on a long run today and working on a medium pace."
Officer: "Did you say median pace?"
Me: "No, medium."
Officer: "Well, you were standing in the median in a very busy intersection. Do you know how dangerous that is?"
Me: "Actually I do this every week. Sometimes more than once."
Officer: "So you repeat this action on a regular basis?"
Me: "Yes. You see I run marathons. Do you happen to have any bread in the car? I am really needing some carbs." (Now I am starting to do some stretching because I am getting tight.)
Officer: "No we don't carry bread as a rule."
Me: "Ok, then can I have my gel back?"
Officer: "No, we are going to have to test it to see if there's something in it making you make bad decisions."
Me: "That won't be necessary, it's just carbs and protein."
Officer: "You runners are all alike. No regard for safety. Just run and run and run. Did you even look as you were trying to cross?"
Me: " Yes, but I did feel a few wind gusts from the cars as they went by." (More stretching)
Officer: "I am going to have to ask you to come sit in the car."
Me: "You don't understand. If I do that, I will lose all of my mental focus, get tight, cool off, wreck havoc on my running goal for the day, and that's not good."
Officer: "I'm sorry, we are going to need to check some things out before we let you go."
(Several minutes pass by.)
Officer: "We have also found out that you run with a group on the weekends. Is that true?"
Me: "Yes, it's a great group of runners!"
Officer: "Well, we're going to have to take you downtown. This is far too serious. Add the running group factor to this and we just can't let it go."
Me: "You don't understand."
Officer: "You'll get one phone call. I hope somebody in your group will come bail you out."
Me: "All of this because I crossed in the wrong place?"
Officer: Yes, crossing like you did is just not safe."
Me: "Say, on our way downtown, can we stop for bread? I need carbs!"

Tip for the day. Be safe and watch where you cross. Someone may be watching you!

Forward we go! May your roads and trails be happy and safe!

No comments: