Saturday, March 28, 2009

Running or Not

The alarm went off this morning as scheduled. Knowing the possibilities that existed with the weather, my first glance was out the window to see if the forecast had actually come true. It had to a certain extent. It was raining and freezing on just about everything and there was a very strong wind. The strange thing was that in some surrounding cities the weather packed a different punch. Some had all rain and some had drifts of snow above 12 inches. Some even had dry pavement. I went ahead and ate a pre-run breakfast of 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread with peanut butter (natural and ground myself at a local store) with a bowl of tart cherries and a soy protein drink.

Then I really looked outside as the rain grew heavier and the freezing intensified. A coating of ice was now on just about everything. It was at this point that I thought to myself I was still going. Got all the gear on and shoes tied and went downstairs. And stopped.

What was I doing? An Ultra-Marathon next weekend. Ice everywhere. Surely I could just step around all of the bad spots and make my 14 miles ok. Surely it wasn't as bad as it looked. I've run in rain before many times. Then it hit me. What if I slip? What if I do take that chance and pull something? I know many of you out there would say "go" and maybe many of you have. Well I have too. But today was different. My body said "no". My mind said, "go for it".

The decision was a tough one. But I decided to take a rest day and be safe. I know deep down that the bulk of my training for the ultra is complete. Now is really taper time. A day off will not be bad. So I didn't run this morning.

The earth didn't shake. My shoes didn't vaporize and disappear. My running clothes are still waiting for me for tomorrow. I think that I did ok today. Had a good nap and watched some NCAA basketball. In past years I would have gone ahead and forced a low quality run for no reason other than just being stubborn. So hopefully tomorrow's weather will be better and I can get me run in. I know the surface might still be a little questionable but it should be better. I hope so. I don't know if I can make two good decisions in a row.

Forward we go! May your roads and trails be happy an safe!

No comments: