Saturday, March 7, 2009

2 Longs Each Weekend

As I prepare for a 44 mile ultra race in April, I have adjusted my training plan the past month or so to include two long runs over 20 miles on Saturday and Sunday. Midweek training includes two 9 milers and a 6 usually throwing in fartleks, tempo, or hill runs with those miles as well as three nights of Cross Training. Needless to say, there have been many good runs but also a few clunkers. It never stops amazing me how the first mile of some of these runs can seem like the hardest. Especially when the winter wind blows hard at you from the north for that first one. I have also run a few marathons during the training schedule to break the routine and get into some racing conditions. The upcoming Little Rock, AR., marathon will be one of those. I am looking forward to Little Rock as I have heard many good things about the race and the people that run it. Even with the "hills" they talk about.

Today as I was running my 26 miles several things came across my mind as I was running. Yes, there were buds on some of the trees. And yes, where I live it was 70 degrees today and will get cold again next week...but I was thinking of some Spring Cleaning things that we should all be thinking about:
1. Register for some races coming up in the next few months and set some training goals to get you there.
2. Shoe check. Take a look and also take a run in the shoes you have had during this winter and see if it's time to get new ones. Remember I recommend to buy two pair at once so you can rotate them and keep a good bounce to them.
3. Gear check. Same as the shoes. You deserve some new running gear. Go for it!
4. Donate. If you have a bunch of shoes around that are good for wearing but not for training, consider donating them to a local organization that might need them.
5. Check out your nutrition and training plans. If you don't have one, consider putting together some ideas and set goals.

I'm looking forward to the race schedule that I have the next few months and will keep you informed of how things are going. You can check out the races that I have coming up on the side of my blog.

Forward we go! May your roads and trails be happy and safe!

No comments: