Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ironman Kansas 70.3 Update 7

With the race less than a week away it's time to start getting things out and ready to go. At least that's what I pan on doing. I always like to lay things out and see what I am missing or what goes where. Since this is a new adventure for me, I will take extra caution to make sure i have everything. I am sure after the Ironman I will learn about things that I wish that I would have had there. That's ok. That's what it's all about. Learning as we go. Right now my mental focus is on the swimming and making it through the course and get on with the cycling and running portions. I have to say, this has really tripled the amount of things that I feel that I need to have ready as opposed to a marathon or ultra. It seems to me much more technical and wow, are there parts that I can really mess up if I do things the wrong way.Entering and exiting the transition areas is a big concern of mine. Not forgetting when to put on and take off the helmet is another area of concern.

Today I ran 4 miles and rode 28 miles. Tomorrow is a swim day and a ride day of around 40 miles I hope. I'd like to get that distance in. Nutrition has been basically the same as decribed in earlier posts. Starting to add good, fuel calories and hydrating more. Getting some goood fats in me and geting the electrolytes up where they should be.

Bike tip for the day...As I was riding today I experienced a new adventure of cycling. Some of the huge holes and gaps in the street are really getting bad. Enough so that a tire could very easily slip down into one. With traffic buzzing all around sometimes it is hard to aviod the "bike sinkholes". Actually they kind of remind me of minature skate parks. You know, you go down one pothole ride around a bit and come up on the otehr side. Twist around to avoid a car or two and the curb. Land with both wheels still attached to the bike and you still clipped in. Yep, score it a 10! I have found a new mouth position for entering one of these hole areas. Make sure your mouth is closed because the holes will jolt your jaw beyond repair. Today I had 4 crowns hit at the same time and it sounded like the Boston Pops Orchestra. My ears are still ringing.

Unitil tomorrow..

Forward we go! May your roads, trails, pools, and lakes be happy and safe and may they bring you peace of mind!

No comments: