Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kansas Ironman 70.3 Update 3

Interesting day today. Started the day a little sluggish and in a very reflective mood. That was after a night in which I was trying to identify everything I needed to do before the Ironman race. Of course no one was listening to me as I was downstairs having a snack. No on was up at 2:00AM. I mean, what do yo do when you can't sleep and have ideas and thoughts racing at an incredible pace through your brain? Have some of those bars that I make that I told you about. Yep, had two more. Then wrote down a few things. Organized a bit. Then went back upstairs and promtly went to sleep. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Today's training involved running 4 miles with steady 1/2 marathon pace repeats of each 1/2 mile with 30 seconds rest in between. Legs were very heavy for the first few and the really came back to life for the end of he workout. I was glad about that. Foot strike was better and softer. Then after the run I did an easy ride of 20 miles. Felt very good. I am a little concerned about my bike. It is making grinding/rattling noises in the gear and crank area. I just got it serviced and I am not happy. Going up hill sound like I am going to lose the bottom of the bike. May take it back this wekend. I'm sure they'll be glad to see me on such a busy holiday weekend. I know the changed the chain and I am wondering if that is it? Any suggestions. This rookie need help fast!

Nutrition was really the same as yesterday except that for lunch I went out and had an incredible vegetarian panini sandwich with a cold quinoa salad with black beans and roasted red peppers. Tonight's routine was altered a bit as I did not have dinner. Just a dinner snack between the Recoverite drink and the Casein Shake.

Had 4 groups of cars with windows rolled down yelling at me tonight. What's up with that? Seems like they try to get so close to you and yell. Highways were very busy already with Memorial Day traverlers. So let's be careful out there!

Tonight I am going to give you a challenge. A very good friend of mine and I had lunch today at a great place called the Community Mercantile. Basically a health foods store. As we talked about other stores, he posed a suggestion that we really should only shop around the perimeter of the store. That we could get everything "healthy" that we needed. Our basic body engine fuel. It's when you step into the aisles in the store that you encounter the things that are really not good for us and fairly unnecessary to our well-being. High carbs, high fat,hhigh sugars, and very processed. Mentally take a trip around where you shop and see if you could survive on the things offered on the perimeter. Then next go see if you can stay out of the aisles that give us trouble nutritionally. Make some comments here on the blog so that people can see if this holds true. I really think we have to eliminate most health food stores but take a look there too. I there a difference from the perimeter to inside the aisles?

Tomorrow's training consists of early morning swim and a 30 mile spin. The new wetsuit debuts tomorrow. So here we go. Hold on to your .....well nevermind.

Forward we go! May your roads, trails, and pools be happy and safe and may they give you peace of mind!

No comments: