Saturday, May 29, 2010

Kansas Ironman 70.3 Update 5

Today's training went well. The swim this morning consisted of 3,000 meters of drill, swim, and intervals. The wetsuit went on better this morning and I know it was because of the Body Glide and just a second try at it. Actually did not need any help and came out ready to roll. after the workout I practiced taking it off quick like in a transition. I'll hope for people to help! The water was warm today so I did feel I was getting a little hot as the workout went on. Stroke was stronger this morning than yesterday. It's just one of those things that we can't really explain. Juts like in running and cycling. There are those days you just want to box up and keep forever, then there are the other ones. Still amazed by sunrise. The pool was so quiet and peaceful this morning and then drove by a few minutes ago and I don't think that you could get any more people in there. It was packed.

Had a great cycling workout. Rode 50 miles and met up with several others riding the Ironman course. I rode parts of it because I wanted to end up downtown to get some more things done on my bike. Traffic on the highways was as packed as the pool. slowed speed down to make sure I was more aware of the traffic. Tried a new idea today that worked out fantastic. I met last evening with the current age group world champion ironman and his wife who got third in her age group. we went over so many things about the upcoming race. So many great suggestions. Practiced putting things out for the transitions and also what things I should have at the transitions and also backups of things. They suggested that in addition to the two bottles of my drink mixture on my bike that I also ride with a Camelbak. I am trying to carry 900 calories on my bike and the Camelbak allows me to do that. I also have a new Bento Box that fits on my crossbar and in it I have the GU Chomps and Hammer Endurolytes and Endurance Amino Caps. It was also filled with my drink and lots of ice. It kept my core cool the entire ride which was fantastic. In addition to that, the drink coming out of the Camelbak was nice and cold which tasted great. It did add a little weight but it was well worth it. Try it and see what you think. For me, it's a keeper!

After the ride I did a short 20 minute run to try out running in my tri suit. Felt good to run and the suit was great. Nutrition today was done mostly on my bike but did have the same food and hydration menu as before for the swim and ride. Tonight is a "going out to eat" night so we'll see what I can find.

Tomorrow's training will be an 8 mile run, 30-35 mile ride and an hour swim.

Forward we go! May your roads, trails, lakes and pools be happy and safe and may they give you peace of mind!

No comments: