Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Big Sur Marathon Race Report/Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge

Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge: 2 Marathons, 2 Coasts, 6 Days

Upon arrival in San Jose, Ca., I knew it was going to be a great trip. The weather was beautiful and the drive up to Monterey was incredible. Still a little sore from the Boston Marathon a few days earlier, I did some light runninig and swimming training before the race. It was good to get things loose and get the blood flowing for what was to be an exciting and scenc coourse.

We stayed at the Marriott Hotel which was the host hotel. That was ver nice since it was right across the street from the Expo and one of the stops or the bus shuttle to the start. The hotel was runner ready and provided many services that were geared to the runners. Most of all they understood requests and inquiries about where the best pre-race food was located. There were many, many outstanding restaurants in the area.

The Expo was fantastic! Not huge but just the right amount of vendors. As part of the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge, I was treated to a special booth to pick up race bib number and final instructions. All aspects of the arrangements were made very easy by the event staff and the many volunteers.

The day before the race was spent resting and keeping down as much as possible. I did go over to teh Expo and hear Dean Karnases speak which was a real treat. Pre-race dinner the night before consisted of Salmon, cauliflower masched potatoes and the tradidtional servings of bread. Lots of water of course as well as Hammer Heed during the day. I had been hydrating all week with Hammer Heed and water and also drinking Hammer Protein shakes of Soy and whey. I did a good job of hydrating. Also, took several long walks along the beach and also most of the runs were along the beach too. Wanted to keep the legs moving and ready to go.

Race day dawned with a wake-up call at 3:00AM. Whew! The earliest yet for me. I ate a banana, got ready with extra layers of clothing, got my drop bag,a dn supplements and headed down to the buses for the trip up to the start. What a fantastic send off from Berta, daughter Kelsey (Celebrating her birthday with this trip), and her boyfriend Ryan. Can you imagine them getting up at that hour to see me off? It was great. Also had great calls from Andy and Katiy that brought much encouragement! Oh, and by the way, at Big Sur you ride to the start in motor coaches. At least most of the runners did. I was in bus paradise. I love motor coaches!

We arrived at the start where the temperature was around 40+ degrees. The whole start area was organized very well with food and drink available to runners. Plenty of pota-potties. There were many necessary and informative annuncements made as well as music. There was a short delay to get all of the buses unloaded but it was minor.

The start was down a long road of redwood trees. Wow! So......After the first mile, I turned my watch off and said this one is just or fun and to enjoy the sights and sounds of the California coast! This was funtime, not a timed race for me. I haven't done that before. It was wonderful! Just enjoyed the scenery and ran at an even pace so that I could take it all in. I had run agressively at Boston and just wated to take it easy.

Here is a course video so you can see what I mean. It is about 20 minutes long but well worth it.

Crossed the finish line at 4:50. Not a problem when you are having fun and enjoying the race. I talked to so many wonderful people. Some first time marathoners, some that had done it many years. also, stopped and took pictures for a cople of people. This would be a tough first marathon though. Hammer Supplements, GU Chomps and my Brooks Infiniti's performed great. Feet and body felt good.

Post race food at the race sight was great except that I drank pineapple juice which I will never do again. Didn't settle at all on the stomach. I never do that. don't know what got into me. There was a special VIP tent for the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge runners which was great and the is where I got my Incredible jacket. Also, got two great ceramic medallions. One for the marathoon itself and one or the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge.

At the post race party at the Marriott which was really first class, I got to meet and talk to Dean Karnazes. That was way cool!

Wow, what a great time! Now training concentrates on my first Ironman on June 6th. The Kansas Ironman 70.3.

Forward we go! May your roads, trails, and pools be happy and safe and may they bring you peace of mind!

No comments: